Friday 22 March 2013

Rest and work

I took myself off to Barbados for a week at the end of February/beginning of March. I'd organised that long before I planned my trip to Kilimanjaro. It was good to recharge the batteries in some warm weather. Although if I said I relaxed on the beach the whole time and did nothing but rest that would not be true. I did make use of the gym in the hotel daily, and enjoyed a couple of early morning runs along the beach, but yes, I did get plenty of rest too.



I came home refreshed physically and even more determined mentally to crack on and get myself ready for the challenge of my life.

I visited Lulworth Cove again and retraced my route from my first training walk there. This time there was a real difference. I found the walk so much easier than before. I could feel that all the hard work I've been putting in, is actually making a difference. I am moving in the right direction..the direction of Mount Kilimanjaro.

I also went to Badbury Rings one afternoon. That is just outside of Wimborne Minster in Dorset. It is the remains of an Iron age hill fort. It's a nice walk up and down some gentle hills and a couple of large ones. But it is set in 'rings' so you can walk any way around it that you like.


 

In addition to this I have spent time at the gym working out. Generally my workouts last around 45 minutes to an hour. I start on the treadmill and run for 10 minutes at a pace which will just get me warmed up and my heart beating a little faster before I move on to the weights. The gym I use has a variety of equipment and I make sure I use each piece during my workout. I do 30 repetitions on each piece of equipment. 3 lots of 10,with a drink of water and a slight pause between each batch. I then get on to the rowing machine and burn off any energy I have left with a fast 750 meters. I say fast...Sir Steve Redgrave probably would not be unduly worried about me becoming a 6 time Olympic Gold medalist.
I then finish with the exercise bike very easy for 5 to 10 minutes just to warm down.

If I can't get out for a really long walk, and I can't get out to the gym, you'll find me out running. How far I run depends on how I feel at the time. Its a minimum of just over 2 miles and sometimes I will go to around 5 miles. I do find running as well as walking is excellent thinking time. I often try to picture what my journey up the mountain is going to be like, and reaching the summit. Just about 5 months until I find out.

I hope as we are now about to enter Spring, that the weather will improve. I don't mind walking in the rain or the cold but a walk in the sunshine would be very nice now and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment